Thursday, April 7, 2005

Night of the Feeders

They're back.
The snow is almost gone from the field.
In the forest it's still deep.
That could be why they're back.
When I get home from work at night I feel their eyes all over me.
I can't tell how close they are through the darkness.
The thick calm.
I walk from my truck across the yard to the back door.
I know they're out there.
I walk slow.
They watch me.
My cat sits at the window.
Cats have a keen extra sense.
She knows they're there.
Some times I'll shine a flashlight around the yard and their glowing eyes are everywhere!
All eyes on me.
My cat can see them too.
They are out there!
It is morning as I write this.
The sun begins its journey to the night.
I can see them at the edge of the forest that surrounds my yard.
They are coming.
Yesterday morning there were six of them right outside my window.
They are definitely back.
I took pictures.
They don't care if it's day or night.
They've come to feed.
They like it here.
They are safe
for now.
Safe for the summer.
At least until...
Deer Hunting Season!

No comments: